Long Dresses and wiggle room

Here is a good reason that long dresses are great for my sensory kid.


SCHOOL CONCERTS

Last spring, when Ruth had her 2nd grade concert. Her anxiety was through the roof. She just could not stand to be up with all those people surrounding her. She was upset about those in the audience as well. I sat near the back and watched, with some dismay. Oh, there was my little girl, cute as a button, holding her knee length dress up over her shoulders. Thank goodness I managed to get tights on her. I had to seek out other children I knew to watch. Ah, so crazy, I know. But, I hadn't learned then the few things I know now.

During the summer Ruth was a flower girl at my niece's wedding. When the discussion of dresses came up, I suggest one to the floor. Ruth's legs were scabby, and it was a great way to hide that. Besides, it seems more princess like, and I thought she would enjoy it. My sister ensured me that a lot of little girls legs were scabby, and we went with it. :) This dress was used during the wedding, and on several Sundays since. Now, it was used for the concert. I must say, I saw her lifting it up, but I didn't see past her knee. :)

The other thing that helps is to blow dry her hair. It had some sort of calming ability. I don't know why, but as my sister pointed out at the wedding, Ruth is a seeker, so maybe it provides the right amount of input for her to work through.

Oh, and wiggle room. Ruth's teacher has come a long way in understanding Ruth. One day not too long ago, Ruth came home and told me she doesn't know how, but the music teacher "forgot" where she belonged and moved her to a new spot. I believe that her classroom teacher suggested a spot on the edge where Ruth was not boxed in. What a good idea. She did spend much of the time wiggling and shaking.

Needless to say, I had the opposite sense of feeling at this concert. Ruth was perky and fun. She loves the music, and danced to her heart's content. She sang and did the motions. (If she was of a little, it just made her more noticeable, and as she was so cute, that was cool.)

Chalk one up on the winning side.

No comments: