Going Out into the World

One thing that can be said of our Sensory Seeking Kids: they want to experience everything. Touching helps them to understand things they have not experienced, or experienced to its fullest. Investigating and moving can make many of us tired after only a few minutes, but it is not enough for them. At home, it is workable. We automatically convert our living space to meet the needs of our families. But out in the world…. It can be a task and a half to meet their needs.

Ruth is at her first "sleeping over camp". There is a Baptist camp that is less than 10 miles from our home. It helps to know that if there is a need, we can be there in no time. :) That said, I must say that the one thing about leaving her somewhere is in trying to explain her behaviors and how to best suit the need, either for out put or for retreat. The same situation can present different outcomes.

My mother suggested I write a letter to explain how to best handle her needs. I thought about it, but it caused me great anxiety. How can I possibly explain what to try in all circumstances? I can hope that I have prepared her to follow the rules, and to navigate her needs within the boundaries. I can only ask that the leaders be sensitive and understand that she is not always trying to misbehave, though sometimes she does. :)

My comfort level was met when I registered her, though the counselor did not know anything about SPD or anxiety. He seemed to be open to understanding, and well, it helped that there is a woman in one of the other sessions that jumped in to offer her aid. (She is a paraprofessional and knew what to ask.)

It is hard to let my girl go out into the world. It may be that she is out there on her own, and is just 8 years old. Or it may be that she has to get through a new experience on her own. But, I have to admit, I have a feeling of comfort in letting her go. I feel the foundation is laid, and she has to begin to build her own life...

1 comment:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Brave, brave mom! Brave girl! I am in awe!