Hairy Details


When you have a child with Sensory Processing Disorder, one of the issues tends to be brushing/ combing their hair. With Ruth, this is a huge difficulty. She can do the front, but the back is hard to manipulate. I struggle to get her to let me help. The tears flow, and it breaks my heart. But I do not want her to go out with a huge mess of snarls. She has enough to contend with...


We have tried the short pixie cut, but then she didn't have the length she needed for stroking the hair across her nose in an effort to calm herself. That is when we had our last bout of hair pulling, silver dollar sized bald spot. Not pretty, and very concerning. Thankfully, we acted on it, and well, that is what got us our diagnosis: Trichotillomania, General Anxiety Disorder, and finally- SPD. Each step has been long and tiring, but that is a different post.

Back to hair----


After the pixie cut, Ruth was asked to be a flower girl for her cousin's wedding. Ruth wanted to have her hair done, and so we grew it out. Oh, how sweet it looked the day of the wedding. :) That was last year, and though we have had a few days of sweet hair styles, Ruth cries when we try to brush it. We have tried every kind of brush/ comb imaginable. It just is hard to deal with. Who wants their child's day to start with tears, or have their self esteem take a nose dive as you point out where they missed brushing day after day. I know I don't...



The other day we were at the library with our pal, Meg. Meg wears her hair pretty short, and in a wedge.

Hmmm......
I just saw that look on a woman at a party last week.

Hmmm.....
Selena Gomez, one of Ruth's favorite actors, just cut her long hair into a longer wedge.

Hmmm....
Look who got their hair cut into a wedge!


Isn't it sweet? Long hair for nose rubbing, short hair in back without a rat's nest. We think she looks a bit like one of her favorite characters, who lives her life to the fullest: Ramona. She got this morning, and her hair was cute. Brushed with ease and no tears....
Yes, this haircut makes both mother and daughter, happy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this haircut!!!
RuthE. you look SO beatiful!! I wish I could see it for real. And give you some hugs for being so cute!
Love, Grama

Kathy said...

Ruth, you look so grown up! I love your new haircut! Love, Aunt Kathy
P.S. This weekend Uncle Mike and I went on a little vacation. And while we were shopping, we stopped in a store and do you know one of the things they were selling? Painted ROCKS! You may be onto something. The rocks were painted with pretty flowers all over. Do you think you could paint one for me with flowers on it? How much are you charging these days?

Michelle O'Neil said...

OMG! SOOOOO CUTE! Look at her! LOVE her new haircut. Love the beautiful color. She is precious.

Wow! I'm gonna see if we might talk Riley into going that short.

Amelia Antwiler said...

VERY CUTE!!
And Sassy!!!

How did I miss that you changed blogs?

Hartley said...

Hi,

I just came across your blog and thought I would say hi.

My youngest, a boy, has struggled with hair cuts and his hair his WHOLE life. He is 4 and has had 3 total hair cuts--in some ways I totally relate to your daughter.

I used to joke that thank god Zac Effron thought longer hair was cool or I'd be forcing Matthew into a meltdown more than once a year. LOL

I'll be back to check out your blog soon!
Hartley
hartleysboys.blogspot.com