The strength within

Today was pretty warm, some would say hot. I have been doing school work most of the day while sitting in front of the air conditioner. I have no choice, the work has to be done.

Ruth asked early this morning, before my eyes were even open, if she could invite a friend over. I told her she could, after all her relationship skills have grown to the point where if I have school work, she can play with a pal with out an eagle eye watching. :)

Ah, good intentions... No friend though. No one was answering their phone. Frustrated tears sprang from her eyes. After all, she had dressed up with her new 'funky' outfit, and lip gloss.

Maybe we could go out shopping?
  • No, sweetie, I have school work.

How about the pet store, I would love to pet puppies.

  • No, darling, I have to do this, it is due.

But, I am bored and tired of TV.

  • Thank goodness, but I am sorry. Daddy is busy doing yard work, why not go with him?

No, thank you. I really wanna' go somewhere to pet a puppy or swim or something.

  • I have to finish this. You know it is important.

Okay. I will go play for awhile. Can I paint a box for Erin's present? .....

I finally had enough of the school work making my eyes go wacky. I suggested Ruth get her swimsuit on, and we drove down the road to the small beach. She brought her bucket for fresh water mussel shells. I brought, well, my book that I was using for my project, and a highlighter to highlight the passages I needed.

Ruth got wet, and entertained me with dumping water over her head. It was cute. She dug a river and played, all the while eying the raft out about 100 feet from shore.

I wanna swim to the raft.

  • Go ahead if you want.

I am afraid to.

  • You have swam out there before.

But, I had people in the water with me. (We were the only ones at the beach.)

  • Honey, it sounds like you are letting your anxiety win.

But, Mommy, I want to go out there, but I am afraid.

  • I understand you are. I cannot go with you, I do not have my swimsuit. It seems like you have two choices, Darling. You can allow your fear to stop you or you can choose to move past it. I can not do this for you, you must decide.

A few minutes go by. More dirt is played with. More passages highlighted. A splash is heard.

Strength within my girl propelled her the distance to the raft. There she sunned for awhile before coming back to shore. I pulled up my shorts and met her about half way. Now, I can sit and do some more school work, and she is content for the evening.

1 comment:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow! Such bravery! Go Ruth!