Thunderstorms

Photo courtesy of thelensflare.com

I know that most people have experienced difficulty with thunderstorms at some point in their life. I have, and well, I have mentioned before that Ruth still does. Ruth has had a couple of busy, fun filled days, and took a nap yesterday afternoon. The result: she was up at 10 PM when the thunderstorm started, and I was ready to head to bed. When I say up, I mean playing in her room after being put to bed. I wasn't as sweet as I could have been when she came into the living room to say she was 'scared'. I sent her back to her room, and told her she would be fine. Of course, I really didn't realize there was a thunderstorm going on, as the curtains were drawn, and the TV blaring.

5 minutes later, I went to crawl into my bed, and in popped Ruth. I was still feeling grouchy, but had noticed the lightening through my bedroom window. "Mommy, I just want to talk for a little bit. Is that OK?", Of course it was. I was comfy in bed, and she laid across the foot chatting about how she thinks of our dog, Sam, as a therapy dog, and how she wishes he would sleep in her room. Of course, he sleeps in my room. She has her cat and typically there are 2 guinea pigs. (Right now, there are 4- she is pet sitting for a friend.)

Before long, I told her that I was going to turn off the light. I wanted to see the lightening, and help her to adjust to it in a safe environment. She crawled up to the pillows, and snuggled with my hair rubbing on her nose. We talked about what makes her afraid of storms, and she really was not able to label the cause. Then, she spoke some of the sweetest words, "You know what, Mommy? I feel safe here cuddled next to you and being held close in your arms."



Teachable a moment! (as well as precious memory....)



I asked her to describe how she feels, and to try to paint a picture in her mind of this moment. The lightening and thunder outside, the safe, warm feeling inside. "That way," I suggested. "You will have something to help you when you are somewhere I am not. You can just remember this moment, like I will."



You see, in our home, we deal with SPD a lot. But, almost as often, it is the anxiety that gets the best of us. So, I hope that I was able to build a small, but firm, foundation for another storm. You know like the old children's song....


The wise man builds his house upon the rock.

The wise man builds his house upon the rock.

The wise man builds his house upon the rock.,

and the rains came tumbling down.

The rains came down and floods came up.

The rains came down and floods came up.

The rains came down and floods came up.

But, the house on the rock stood firm.


Maybe, just maybe, Ruth will find her storms in life are bearable, because she has an inner strength no one can take away. Her faith, and well, her family's love.

2 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

So beautiful.

My Seth is terrified of lightening. I'll have to try this next time.

Hartley said...

HI!

I just found your blog today and thought I would leave a note.

My oldest son has SPD, and your story of the thunderstorm--all of it, from sleeping during the day and being up at night, to complaining, to laying at the foot of the bed, each and every part of it I have had happen time and time again here. :)

Thunderstorms are hard for us mostly becuase of predictability. My son can't predict what may or may not happen during a thunderstorm. How long will it last? When will the next noise come? How loud will it be? Why is it happening? Will the lightenning hit something? All of those questions create the anxiety for him. Using "happy memories" is a great way to disapate any anxiety. We focus on taking ourselves back to the best vacation we had or when my son was a baby (he loves those stories). Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.

Happy New Year,
Hartley
www.hartleysboys.com